Book Me! Six Mini Reviews #BEDM

The last couple of posts have been pretty heavy, so... Books! Whenever I read a book review, I basically just skip to the bit where it says recommend/not recommend. So I figured I'd cut the crap and just write mini reviews. Also, I'm lazy.



24 For 3 - Jennie Walker Novella following fifty-something couple and their teenage son. Neat plot but the cricket metaphor gets old quickly. It's alright, I wouldn't bother sticking it on the wishlist though.

At Home - Bill Bryson Not-so-short history of private life. Interesting and accessible without being patronising. Felt liked I learned a lot, although it did feel like hard going in places. Worth reading if you're interested in the subject, but if you want a more fast-paced Bryson book I'd recommend Notes From A Small Island or The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling Part autobiography, part musings on life. The ultimate in light reading. It probably won't blow your mind but it does have quite a few laugh out loud moments (I mean that literally, I got some funny looks on the bus).



One Day by David Nicholls Will they/won't they epic. Lived up to the hype, and I read it in two days which is always a good sign! Definitely recommended (although I think I might have been the last person in the Western world to read it anyway).

Unsticky by Sarra Manning Grace meets Vaughn, gets very quickly out of her depth. Yes it's chick-lit, but it's good chick lit. 50 Shades without the BDSM, but with decent writing. Top draw holiday/guilty pleasure reading. 

Note to self: write blog post about how much I actually hate the term 'chick lit'.

Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin (Cattle guru and woman with autism) Grandin's part-autobiography and part-autism overview. Loved the mix of inspiring personal insights, summaries of autism research, and even the agricultural stuff. A must if you're interested in autism (or cattle). Good springboard for further reading. Avoid if you're a passionate vegetarian.


I've also read the His Dark Materials trilogy recently, but I liked that so much I'm considering naming a future child after the main character, so that probably does deserve a separate post!

9 comments

  1. I've only read One Day and the Pullmann though I only beat you to the One Day by 2 months so it's not that impressive! I liked the first two Pullman books and the animals with wheels part of book three but I must say I was really disappointed by book 3- really thought the denouement of what Lyra's big sin was really silly. But which character will you name the child after? Surely it has to be Azrael! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOrry not to like all of the Pullmann, don't hate me :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll forgive you :) I was surprised by how relatively minor the 'sin' was, but I still found it really moving. I love the name Lyra, although my partner isn't keen (this is all hypothetical anyway, I'm not actually pregnant/trying!) xx

      Delete
    2. Oh I knew it was hypothetical but still!!!! Ha, Lyra of course! It is a lovely name! Yes, it was moving that Lyra and Will couldn't be together!

      Delete
  3. I distinctly remember throwing One Day at the wall when I read it. I'm a fan of happy endings! My boyfriend loved it though because it was "realistic", lol. I love chick-lit but I hate the term too. It kinda dumbs it down so I feel bad for reading it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's like saying that novels by women/for women aren't as important as other novels. I was quite shocked by the bit you're talking about! x

      Delete
    2. Yep, it's like saying that novels by women/for women aren't as important as other novels. I was quite shocked by the bit you're talking about! x

      Delete
  4. Lyra's a lovely name for a girl! I wish I'd read this this morning, I just went to the library and picked Unsticky up but ended up thinking "nah". I love Mannings' teen fiction but haven't yet enjoyed one of her adult books.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...