Wimbledon 2014


As you can tell (if you look at the calendar) this I'm way behind on posting this. Wimbledon now feels like ages ago... 

I went this year for the first time ever, and it was ace (terrible pun intended). I'm not really a massive sports fan, but I've always enjoyed seeing it live, and Wimbledon was no exception.

There was a real sense of occasion, from the moment we got off the train onwards...




The queuing lasted forever (we arrived at 7.30am and we were around number 6500 in the queue!). We got in at about 1pm, which I didn't think was too bad, considering they don't let anyone in until 11. Luckily the weather was good and we'd brought along our Kindles, snacks, and frozen bottles of squash (the last time I'd made one of those was for Sports' Day 1996). 




Gotta love a bit of twitter-related topiary, right?




We sat on Murray Mound/Henman Hill to start with, because the Murray game was about to begin. The hill (and the whole of the grounds) were a lot smaller and more crowded than I was expecting, but this added to the atmosphere. There were some fancy looking picnics around; we saw a lot of salmon and champagne. Our Lidl-feast looked a bit stingy in comparison! We left the hill after the first set, mostly because I was fearful that my pasty white legs were going to get burned to a crisp...


Our general admission tickets meant that we weren't allowed onto Centre Court, Court One or Court Two, so we watched games on the smaller courts. As you can see from the pics, these courts are really close together (and these were the bigger smaller courts, if you know what I mean). 

The day was loooong and pretty exhausting, but I will definitely be going back next year. If the weather's good. There's no way I would queue for five hours in the rain; my appreciation of live sports just doesn't stretch that far!

The post Wimbledon 2014 first appeared on Distract Me Now Please.

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...