Weekend Wanderlust: Berlin's Museums and Galleries

Quick confession: I spent quite a lot of my time in Berlin being either drunk or hungover. It's that kind of city. What I'm trying to excuse, in a roundabout way, is the fact that I didn't get stuck into Berlin's museums and galleries in the way that I usually would. I'm not too disappointed though, because it gives me another excuse to go back soon! Here's my picks from what I did manage to see:



The old TV tower at Alexanderplatz is a bit (ok, a lot) of a tourist hub, and the queues are epic... It's all quite well organised; you have to queue for a bit to get a ticket, which then gives you a time to go up the tower. I'd recommend going early to get your ticket, or there'll be a lot of hanging around involved. Personally, I loved looking down on Berlin, mostly I think because it looks like a Lego town from that high up, and I unashamedly love Lego. If bird's eye views aren't your thing, however, then give it a miss.




The Jewish Museum was incredible. One thing that I really liked about the museum was that it had a massive section that didn't focus chiefly on the Holocaust. Obviously that's hugely important, and it is addressed elsewhere in the museum, but I really enjoyed learning about other aspects of Jewish history and culture (but that might be because I'm a bit of a geek!). Architecturally, it's the most interesting and thought-provoking museum I've ever been to. Designed by Daniel Libeskind, the building has huge 'gashes' (well, windows) in the sides that you can see from both inside and outside, which to me resembled a broken Star of David. The shape of the building itself also creates a similar effect.The information centre under the Holocaust Memorial (near the Brandenburg Gate) was also massively thought-provoking; I'm going to be sharing my emotional experience of these places soon, in a separate post. 


Schloss Charlottenburg is a little way out from the city centre, but still really easy to get to on the U-Bahn. It was built as a summer palace for Freidrich III and his wife, and was added to and extended over the years. If you want to see all of it, it really is a whole day's excursion. I managed to see all of the interiors, but I was there for about five hours, and that didn't even give me time to explore the outside! If the weather's good it would be worth going just to see the gardens, but the interiors are brilliantly ostentatious. 

I know I keep saying this, but there is actually a ridiculous amount of stuff to do in Berlin. I didn't even get to hit Museum Island... I kind of want to go back right now. Does anybody want to buy me a plane ticket? Seriously, I'd be really grateful. 

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...